Fire brigade has hands full with roof fires

The Swakopmund Fire brigade had a busy Wednesday morning after they had to extinguish two fires which broke out in the roofs of buildings in town. Fortunately, no injuries were reported nor major destruction as was seen last week when the Dolphin Pharmacy was destroyed in a fire.
The first incident occurred on Wednesday morning in the roof of a house at an old age home located in Vineta. According to fire chief Adri Goosen, the fire started after a geyser located in the roof exploded and resulting in an electric short circuit. The fire brigade was at the scene within minutes and extinguished the fire.
The second incident occurred during midday in an apartment complex, also in Vineta. It is close to the Private School Swakopmund.
A contractor was busy burning off old paint from outer wooden structures of the roof. In the process, the structure caught fire. Workers noticed smoke billowing from the roof. The fire brigade was called to the scene and found a ceiling inside one of the apartments smoldering.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login