Gendev takes the Debmarine Cup

The first round of the Namibia Football Association’s FA Cup took place at the Vineta Sport Stadium in Swakopmund over the weekend. The FA Cup s sponsored this year for the first time by Debmarine Namibia. For the first leg twelve Erongo teams competed. Gendev ended in the first place that now makes the them the champions in the Erongo 2nd Division and will now have to see who will be their ultimate challenger, as the other legs are played across the country.

The CEO of Debmarine Namibia, Mr Otto Shi-kongo, reconfirmed the Company’s commitment towards the NFA. “We have committed ourselves to a targeted sponsorship N$ 14, 1 million over a three-year period [2017 to 2019].
Teams that took part over the weekend are: Barcelona, Blue Birds, Celtic, Gendev, Karibib FC, Mighty Eagles, Namibian Navy, SFC, Sorento Bucks, Tuta Super Eagles, Young Eleven and Zula Molest. However 4 teams; Barcelona, Blue Birds Mighty Eagles and Young Elevens have not showed up. The teams against whom they were to play were automatically awarded 2 goals.
On Saturday, Tuta Super Eagles took on Sorento Bucks [Arandis]. Sorento Bucks was on top of the game with 2-0. Goals were scored by Dominic Van Wyk in the 15th minute and Denzil Xoagab in the 64th minute.
Karibib SFC and Swakopmund FC had a match of equals. Tangeni Kaijambo scored the first goal for Karibib in the 16th minute. SFC gained momentum scoring the first goal during the second half, ending the match in a 1-1 draw.
Zula Molest and Gendev put up a great defense. In the 14th minute of the match Johannes Namuhuja scored the first goal for Gendev. Zula Molest scored in the 36th minute, ending the first half with a 1-1 draw.
Lucas Mbendeka gained momentum two minutes after second half, scoring the second goal for Gendev. Ignatius Swartz from Zula Molest equaled the score again in the 50 minute [2-2]. Gendev managed another score and the match was over 3-2 in the favour of Gendev.
Jordan Hambi (Celtic) scored the first goal against the Namibian Navy in the 23rd minute. Five minutes later, “mighty” Jonas Theruel leveled the score and the first half ended 1-1. Celtic managed two more scores in the second half, ending the game 3-1.
The action continued on Sunday. Gendev and Celtic took on one another in the semi-finals. Jonas Mungomba opened the score board for Gendev with a goal in the 24th minute of the game. Twelve minutes after Gendev’s goal, Jordan Haimbili from Celtic leveled the score to 1-1 for the first half.
“The talented” Iimmanuel Kiimba collapsed Celtic’s momentum with three consecutive goals in the second half. Gendev ended on top with 4-1. Coach Wilhelm Festus was jubilant.
Sorento Bucks and SFC took one another in their semi-final game. Tobias Anuula scored the first goal for Sorento Bucks in the 14th minute. SFC ended the first half empty handed, but put up a gallant fight in the second round. Eleven minutes into the second half F. Klippert rescued SFC in a counter attack, bringing the score-board to 1-1.
Sorento Bucks turned the pressure into points. The team scored a second goal, a beautiful “header” by Dominic Van Wyk. After the second goal, Olasuis Nghifindwako went in for the third goal in the 75th minute, ending the match with 3-1. “We are our own worst enemy and didn’t stick to what needed to be done. We focused on our emotions rather than the game, but improvements will be implemented”, said Gerald Güither, SFC coach after the game.
Finals have proven to be very intense with Gendev and Sorento Bucks, with both teams pulling out all the plugs. Both teams could not score and the final whistle was 0-0, with 15 minutes added. Neither team could pull it through during these added minutes and it was up to the penalty kicks, where both teams scored one goal. Sorento’s fortunes changed when Gendev managed four penalty kicks, against two by Sorento.
Gendev won prize money of N$20 000, whilst 2nd place Sorento Bucks received N$10 000 and both SFC and Celtic received N$ 5 000 prize money each.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login